Please note that this is NOT the application form.
All applications MUST be made via the online application form here.
By telephone. Telephone application appointments must be made in advance by contacting Sarah Kearney on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01273 696844 and asking for Sarah.
Please note that the online application form will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Therefore, please allow time to complete the full application form as it is not possible to save the form and return later. The full list of questions is available below for your reference to allow you to prepare for completing the online application form.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 12 noon, Tuesday 11 January 2022
Support and Access
What do you need to engage with us at your best? Please let us know.
We welcome applications from inclusive groups working with young dancers who identify as D/disabled or D/deaf.
As part of the application process, groups/individual applicants will be required to submit a URL link to their filmed dance piece and confirmation that they are only using royalty-free music or/and original music composed solely for the piece.
Selected groups/solos will be required to submit documentation/forms and a photograph of the piece.
Please let South East Dance know if you need support with administration as part of the application & selection process.
To discuss access and support requirements please contact South East Dance on 01273 696844 and ask for Sarah or email: email@example.com
Application questions – for reference only
About the Group or Individual Applicant
For applications by young makers/dancers aged under 18 years please provide a name and contact details of your parent/carer or teacher/youth leader/dance teacher. [Can we format this so that there is not a gap between the instruction sentence and the bullet points? I can’t make it work on Word]
- Name of group / company / solo artist
- Full name of group leader / adult contact
- Email address for group leader / adult contact
- Telephone number for group leader / adult contact
- Optional: name, email address & telephone number for applicants under 18 years old.
- Groups / Solo applicants selected for Screen Moves will need to be available to contact between 25 January – 25 March 2022. You will be asked to provide contact details for a group leader/adult contact if different/additional to the above.
About the group / solo applicant
Please note you must be based in one of the following counties to be eligible for the U.Dance Digital South East Regional Platform: Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Kent, Oxfordshire, Surrey or West Sussex.
- Where is the group/solo applicant based? Please provide the town/city, county and postcode
- Which of the following settings best describes your group? School group / private dance school or academy / youth dance company or group / individual or independent applicant / other.
- How long has the group been working together?
For individuals – how long have you been dancing and/or creating work?
- If this is a school group – is the school an Artsmark School? YES/NO/DON’T KNOW
- Does your group have dancers who identify as D/disabled or D/Deaf? YES/NO
Application Routes & Applicant Details
- State whether you are applying for U.Dance on Stage or U.Dance on Screen
- Please outline your group’s/solo applicant’s Covid-19 working practices.
This can be brief bullet points.
- How many dancers are there in the group?
(U.Dance on Stage – Maximum 30 dancers
U.Dance on Screen – No upper limit on dancer numbers)
- Number of dancers who identify as:
Prefer to self-describe
- Please state the age range of your dancers.
(*Eligible age range is 11-19 years or up to the age of 25 if they have a disability.)
Number of 11 year olds (KS2)
Number of 12 to 14 year olds (KS3)
Number of 15 to 16 year olds (KS4)
Number of 17 to 18 year olds (KS5)
Number of 19 year olds:
Number of 20 to 25 year olds*
If your piece includes dancers outside the eligible age range you will not be considered for National Festival selection. However, you may be considered for Screen Moves at the panel’s discretion. If there are dancers outside the eligible age range you will be asked to provide details on the application form.
Please be prepared to provide proof of Public Liability Insurance (PLI) cover if selected for Screen Moves. Solo applicants working independently will not require PLI.
You must have media consent for all dancers appearing in your filmed dance piece. For dancers aged under 18 years consent must be confirmed by a parent/guardian. Dancers aged 18 years or over can give media consent on their own behalf.
South East Dance will be applying for a BOPA for Screen Moves, the U.Dance Digital South East Regional Platform. If selected for the platform each dance film that includes dancers aged 16 years or under will need to complete a Brighton & Hove City Council Participant Information form. South East Dance will provide this on notification of selection.
- Do you have PLI that is applicable for your work with this group? YES/NO
- You will be asked to confirm that you understand that you must have media consent for every dancer that appears in the submitted filmed dance piece.
- You will be asked to confirm that you understand that there is a requirement to provide information for the BOPA if selected.
Screen Moves - U.Dance Digital South East Regional Platform 2022
Screen Moves will take place 25 & 26 March 2022.
Online platform: Facebook Watch Premiere and YouTube Premiere.
The digital event will be available to view on Youtube for one month following the event until 25 April 2022.
Applicants will be notified of the panel’s decision regarding selection by 28 January 2022.
The selected groups/individuals will be required to submit the final edited version of the filmed dance piece as an MP4 file, documentation/forms and a photograph of the piece to South East Dance by 4 March 2022. Please let South East Dance know if you need support with administration by contacting Sarah Kearney on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 01273 696844 or we can arrange a video call.
You will be asked to confirm that you understand the requirement to complete the documentation, forms, plus provide the film as an MP4 file and a photograph by 4 March if selected for Screen Moves.
About the dance piece
PLEASE NOTE:If your dance piece is selected for Screen Moves, the piece detailed below MUST be the same that is screened online on 25 & 26 March 2022. You MUST provide the final edit of your filmed dance piece by 4 March 2022.
- Title of piece
- Duration of piece (between 2 and 7 minutes)
- Choreographed by: dancers / group leader / invited choreographer / other (you will be asked to select as many as apply)
- Filming and Editing by: dancers / group leader / invited filmmaker / other (you will be asked to select as many as apply)
- Dance styles or genres included
- Please provide a brief (max. 100 words) description about your piece. Include details such as: the inspiration and concept behind the piece, and what the piece is about.These are notes for the panel to inform their viewing of your piece.
- Explain when the piece was created and whether it has been performed or screened before and, if so, how many times.
Music, Film and Group Details
With pieces being streamed online at Screen Moves, there are strict rules and legal requirements surrounding music licensing and rights. Applicants should not assume they can use any piece of music for free. South East Dance will not include films in Screen Moves that use copyright music, or any music for which the rights are not secured. South East Dance are unable to pay to secure rights to any music accompaniment to pieces, and will not be able to stream the piece online if the following guidelines are not adhered to.
South East Dance will only accept applications using the following:
- Royalty free music
- Original music composed solely for the piece
Please read the following music guidelines from One Dance UK here
- You will be asked to confirm that you understand the requirements surrounding music licensing and rights.
- Which option applies to the music used in your piece? Royalty-free music / original music composed solely for the piece / (If using more than one track you will be asked to select as many as apply)
- Please provide the following for each track used in your filmed dance piece: title of music & composer/artist/musician and whether royalty free or original music composed solely for the piece.
Note: If selected you will be required to provide details of the terms of usage and appropriate credits for each track of music used in your filmed dance piece.
Please submit your filmed dance piece as URL link. If this is a private password protected link please include the password on the application form.
- You will be asked to confirm that you understand that if selected you will need to provide the final edit of your filmed dance piece as an MP4 file.
- A description of the company/group/school/solo applicant (max. 50 words)
- How did you hear about U.Dance 2022?
- What you like to be considered as part of the selection for the U.Dance National Festival 2022?
NO – go to ‘Checklist of requirements before submitting’
YES – go to the next page ‘U.Dance National Festival’
U.Dance National Festival 2022
U.Dance National Festival
Dates: 22-24 July 2022
Location: Glasgow and online.
Before proceeding please read One Dance UK’s U.Dance 2022 Guidance Notes here.
If you have any questions please contact South East Dance.
- You will be asked to confirm that you have read and understood the U.Dance 2022 Application Guidance Notes provided by One Dance UK
- Do you agree that South East Dance can share your contact details with One Dance UK should you be shortlisted for a place at U.Dance 2022? YES/NO
(One Dance UK will contact shortlisted groups/soloists to let them know whether they have been selected for the U.Dance National Festival 2022 and to provide all information required for selected groups/soloists to be part of the U.Dance National Festival events).
- Have you ever applied or been selected to attend a National U.Dance event before? If yes, when?
- Which strand of U.Dance are you applying for?
U.Dance on Stage
U.Dance on Screen
U.Dance on Stage and U.Dance on Screen
There is no fee charged by One Dance UK for selected groups/individuals to take part in the National Festival.
U.Dance on Stage
In order to be considered for the U.Dance National Festival 2022 your group/individuals MUST be available to attend from 22-24 July 2022 in Glasgow.
U.Dance on Stage Groups/Soloists will be responsible for funding their own travel, food, accommodation and chaperones. There is a small support fund from One Dance UK to help U.Dance on Stage groups who might require assistance.
- If you are selected for U.Dance 2022, how do you intend to raise the cost per person to attend 22-24 July in Glasgow?
U.Dance on Stage and U.Dance on Screen - Chaperones for the U.Dance 2022 National Festival
There are certain considerations that Group Leaders need to take into account to ensure they meet artistic, health and safety and pastoral requirements when applying. These include:
- Ensuring children and young people have appropriate consent for their image to be shown and for appropriate care to be taken with that image
- Having a suitable number of chaperones and/or adults who have been through safer recruitment and DBS checks present when working with their group, including online. Solo performers will need to be accompanied by a responsible adult/chaperone
- Chaperones/supervising adults should match the gender of their group
- In the event that a Body Of Persons Approval licence needs to be obtained for the National Festival, Group Leaders agree to provide necessary information to event organisers. If you have queries about the requirements for child safeguarding at either Regional Platform or National Festival level, please contact the relevant representative
- Does the group/solo applicant currently have the appropriate number and gender of suitable DBS checked chaperones/supervising adult? YES/NO
If yes, you will be expected to supply details of chaperones/supervising adults if selected for the National Festival.
If no, please ensure you begin the process of organising suitable chaperones as soon as possible after selection for the U.Dance National Festival as it can take several weeks for DBS applications to process.
Checklist of requirements before submitting
South East Dance:
- Will not accept late applications
- Has the right to refuse applications that do not meet all the eligibility criteria.
- Has the right to refuse applications that are not complete, including evidence of suitable music in line with application requirements.
- Along with the panel members has the final decision on all selected groups.
- Has limited Access bursaries for selected Screen Moves groups/individuals and will offer them on eligibility on a first come first served basis.
- I have fully completed all sections of the application form above
- I have provided my filmed dance piece as a URL link in the application form above, including the password if required.
- I confirm the music used is royalty-free OR Original music composed solely for the piece
You will be asked to confirm the following on your application form:
- I have read and understood the Information and Guidance Notes and have completed this form to the best of my knowledge.
- I confirm that I have read and understood the platform eligibility requirements.
- I can confirm that my dance piece uses royalty-free music and/or original music composed solely for the piece.
- I can confirm that if I am submitting a U.Dance on Stage piece that there are a maximum of 30 dancers in the group.
- I can confirm that the piece is no longer than 7 minutes.
- I can confirm that all dancers are between 11-19 years old (or up to 25 if they have a disability) and, if applicable, have provided details of any dancers outside of this age range.