Trustees provide strategic guidance, using their expertise and networks to promote South East Dance and ensure its long-term sustainability. Advocacy is an important part of the Trustees’ role. From time to time you may be asked to represent the organisation at functions and meetings.
The main responsibilities of the trustees are:
To ensure that the fundamental values and guiding principles of South East Dance are articulated and reflected across the organisation including trustees, staff, volunteers, and everyone else who benefits from the charity’s work.
To determine the overall strategic direction and development of South East Dance by agreeing the Aims & Objectives, as well as setting the policies and annual budgets of the charity.
To agree targets with the Senior Executive Team of South East Dance and ensure that performance is measured against these.
To represent South East Dance at key events and meetings, acting as an ambassador and promoting the organisation.
To exercise effective control of the charity’s financial affairs. To ensure that the way that South East Dance is managed does not leave it vulnerable to fraud, and that the systems of control are appropriate, rigorous and regularly updated as necessary.
To ensure that the charity complies with its governing documents, relevant legislation and regulatory requirements.
- Commitment to South East Dance’s mission and values
- Big picture thinker
- Proven track record of thinking and acting strategically
- Demonstrable commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and willingness to take action to ensure the organisation is representative
- Ability to devote sufficient time to fulfil the role effectively
- Knowledge of the South East region
- Experience of charity governance
- A keen interest in dance and/or the arts/culture sector
- Resident/working in Brighton and Hove and/or in the South East region